POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What is the Universe made of? : Re: What is the Universe made of? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the Universe made of?
From: Warp
Date: 3 Nov 2010 11:02:44
Message: <4cd17994@news.povray.org>
> >   What about the four fundamental interactions? Are they energy, or are
> > they some property of the Universe distinct from energy?

> They're energy in the sense that they're mass in the sense that they're
> mediated by particles (assuming one finds gravitons, at least). The electric
> force is photons interacting with electrons, for example, both of which are
> energy.

  Isn't that like saying "sound is matter"? Sound is transported by matter,
sound isn't matter in itself. Sound is a phenomenon.

  Likewise just because the fundamental forces are mediated by energy
doesn't necessarily mean that the forces are energy.

  I'm not saying the fundamental forces are not a form of energy, I'm simply
wondering if they are (because I'm not a phycisist and I don't know).

> > (Another point which would indicate that information is not
> > energy is that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, but information can.)

> Actually, there's good reason to think information cannot be destroyed.
> That's what lead to postulating the holographic principle and hawking
> radiation. The basic problem is that the QM theories preserve certain kinds
> of information that GR does not, so matter falling into a black hole
> violates quantum mechanics in a very fundamental way.

  I think in physics "information" is defined in terms of entropy, and as
we know, entropy varies.

--
                                                          - Warp