POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Land of Lisp : Re: Land of Lisp Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Land of Lisp
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 3 Nov 2010 09:49:18
Message: <4cd1685e$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/3/2010 4:18 AM, Invisible wrote:

>>> You're aware that C# and Java are interpretted languages, right?
>>
>> No they're not. No more than the ability to load a DLL means that C is
>> an interpreted language.
>
> Right. And the fact that it runs on top of a VM doesn't count because...?

Not a VM at all. CLR IL is compiled on-the-fly as its encountered. This
creates a few initial delays, but once everything has been jitted, it's
every bit as native as C. Actually, if you step through a CLR app in a
debugger and switch over to the disassembly, everything is in x86
machine code by that point.

>>> the case of C#, it's not even possible to install the runtime without
>>> installing the compiler too...)
>>
>> Nor is that true. What are you smoking over there? Can I have some?
>
> Uhuh. And so when you install the .NET "runtime", and it spends 45
> minutes running "ngen.exe", "native code generator", that doesn't count
> as "running the compiler" because...?

I believe you can turn that off, but it slows application start-up for
.NET apps.

--
~Mike