POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Light question : Re: POV Light question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Light question
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 3 Nov 2010 04:17:54
Message: <4cd11ab2@news.povray.org>
El Wed, 03 Nov 2010 01:48:38 -0500, Tim Cook escribió:

> [..] I seem to recall
> reading somewhere that ideally the only property of intensity,
> fade_power, and fade_distance that would need to be changed to be
> accurate to reality would be /intensity/

  Yes, but for that to be realistic, fade_power should be 2: intensity is
inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

> what, if any, unit of
> luminosity is appropriate to apply to a light source if 1 POV-unit=1 m
> and fade_power and fade_distance are both set to 1.0?  Does the
> resulting variable of intensity have any real-world analog, or is there
> any defined conversion factor?  Even an approximation would be useful.

  I researched this topic years ago, and I found it too complicated for
just artistic purposes... all that matters really is that all lights must
have realistic attenuation. Also, if you have several lights which are
supposed to have different intensities, the difference in intensity
should be realistic. So, for example, you can use real lumens data as the
intensity for your lights, scaling the data to adjust the brightness of
your image.

  But if you're trying to match a scene lighting level with something
measured from reality, the best way would be to first perform tests
against a real scene, "a la" cornell box, to obtain that "conversion
factor".

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia