POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really deep Mandelbrot zoom : Re: Really deep Mandelbrot zoom Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really deep Mandelbrot zoom
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Nov 2010 19:40:15
Message: <4cd0a15f$1@news.povray.org>
Le 02/11/2010 20:09, gregjohn nous fit lire :
> Thanks also for checking on the Mandel code. I found that the iterations limit
> of 32000 makes for "ugliness" at high mag long before the calculation precision
> runs out. How about making that a double ! ;-)

Well, their might be room for better usage of the structure:
 iterations, ext_type & int_type are all stored as short so far.

 * iterations could well be extended to an unsigned int (does negative
iteration make sense ?) (I'm afraid of a per-pixel-loop of more than
2^32, as the next step would be 2^64 (it might have a portability issue
too) even at 2 Giga operation per second, that's only 2 x 2^30 loop per
second, at best 2^32 needs a few seconds, we do not want to wait for
2^34 seconds for one pixel (even per core...). So 32 bits for the
iterations should be enough, shouldn't it ?

 * both *_type are 0 to 6... they could share a byte (it's worthless on
current architecture, they can probably have their own byte anyway,
allowing fancy extension from 7 to 127 or 255 if anyone ever come with
such new different conversions from computation to the map)

And looking at the type, I wonder why there is not already something like:
(for exterior, i guess; as for interior, it's a constant)
   return (Iterations % (Factor+1))/Factor
(or simile)