POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to trace() and evaluate colour of CSG object? : Re: How to trace() and evaluate colour of CSG object? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 06:11:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to trace() and evaluate colour of CSG object?
From: none
Date: 2 Nov 2010 07:43:30
Message: <4ccff962$1@news.povray.org>
2010-11-02 11:49, Le_Forgeron skrev:
>>> But notice that the "colour" that a laser-scanner would get would in
>>> fact be the level of reflected laser-beam in the ray direction.
>>
>> Yes, that's true. But in this case I actually do want the pigment of the
>> object that is hit by the ray, and not a simulation of the remission of
>> the laser beam, so you can actually disregard the application I
>> described. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Do you want to know the pigment of the object as seen from the camera of
> the scanner, or really the pigment of the object (independently of the
> lightning condition ?)

I want to know the pigment of the object, independent of any lighting.

Actually, what I really want is to know which object the ray hit. I just
imagine that using different pigments for different objects and looking
at the pigment at the end of each ray would be an easy way to accomplish
that.

I just thought of another workaround to accomplish what I want. Given an
array of objects, I can trace() a ray to each of them and only consider
the closest hit. That would take care of occlusions.

Thanks a lot for your effort to help!