POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to trace() and evaluate colour of CSG object? : How to trace() and evaluate colour of CSG object? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 06:12:07 EDT (-0400)
  How to trace() and evaluate colour of CSG object?
From: none
Date: 2 Nov 2010 04:05:19
Message: <4ccfc63f$1@news.povray.org>
I want to simulate a 3D laser scanner using a POV-ray scene. To to this,
I declare the scene as a union and use trace() from the scanner's
position to generate points on the scene's surfaces.

Now I also want to evaluate the pigment of each point, but I can't find
a good way to do it. trace() itself doesn't return any colour information.

I tried to declare the scene as an array of objects instead of a union,
and then call trace() and eval_pigment() on each object separately.
However, then the trace function "sees through" objects since they are
tested separately. For example, I get points both on a foreground object
and the background behind it, which should be occluded.

Is there another way?