POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation : Re: An observation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:13:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An observation
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 1 Nov 2010 20:45:09
Message: <4ccf5f15$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/31/2010 1:51 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:29:24 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> How so? Drivers can be compiled into kernel, but most are not any more,
>> and they can be added or removed, without effecting the kernel itself.
>> You do have to compile it for the specific processor though, so where
>> exactly do you think I contradicted myself?
>
> Looking at the source for the version of Android on my phone, I see the
> drivers in with the kernel source.
>
> My router (which is not Android-based, but Linux based) is the same.  Not
> x86 hardware, but it uses drivers for hardware that is readily available
> on x86 systems, so the drivers are in the kernel tree.
>
> Jim
Yes, but, as I said, you could add ones you don't have, or remove the
ones that are there. The kernel needs to know how to talk to the
hardware, but it doesn't give a crap, beyond the obvious need to run on
the processor you compiled to, *what* that hardware actually is. That
was my point. Sure, for stand alone cases, a lot of the drivers are in
the kernel tree. Same, to an extent, for "some" of the common ones for
PCs. Doesn't mean they have to be there, beyond the basics needed to get
something loaded in the first place.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {