POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really deep Mandelbrot zoom : Re: Really deep Mandelbrot zoom Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really deep Mandelbrot zoom
From: Warp
Date: 1 Nov 2010 16:12:15
Message: <4ccf1f1f@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > and the amount of iterations required for such zoom levels doesn't help
> > the matter either).

> I wouldn't think it takes more iterations per pixel to do a deep zoom than
> to do a surface zoom.

  It does. Each color band in the classically-colored Mandebrot set (which
is what is used in the video) represents one iteration. Now count how many
distinct color bands there are in the entire video (I have no idea, but
I'm guessing it's in the millions).

> (Of course, if you have the whole set in view, sure. I
> mean when you're at 2^30 zoom, does it really take fewer iterations per
> pixel than 2^70 zoom?)

  It's more like you don't *need* so many iterations for a 2^30 zoom to
look good as you need for a 2^70 zoom. You *could* use the larger amount
of iterations also for the 2^30 zoom, but it would change very little
(only pixels adjacent to the set would probably get different coloring).

--
                                                          - Warp