POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation : Re: An observation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An observation
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Oct 2010 17:21:45
Message: <4ccddde9$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 18:54:00 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>>  As I understand it the kernel may as well be the
>> same, assuming the same processor, but the interfaces, i.e. drivers, to
>> the rest of the stuff, isn't.
>
> Um, no, actually, the APIs would be the same because it's the same kernel
> code.

The kernel code (at least, the "same" kernel code) is generally not what
provides the APIs to device drivers on embedded devices.

> Wait, what?  You seem to be contradicting yourself....

No, he's saying you *could* do it, but generally that isn't what happens.
People don't port X11 to their cell phone, they use directFB. People don't
port Pulse to their cell phone, they use whatever API works with the
hardware. They don't use udev, they just write directly to the USB devices
they support. Etc.

That the drivers are in the kernel tree on *your* devices doesn't mean
they're part of the kernel on other devices.

 > unless you're talking
 > about something like the proprietary NVidia or ATI drivers.

Well, unless you're talking about anything that's not generic, really. Does
the standard Linux kernel have device drivers for CDMA chips? 4" LED
touchscreens? Power control modules for turning on and off various parts of
various chips? GSM codec hardware?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: