POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation : Re: An observation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:15:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An observation
From: Invisible
Date: 29 Oct 2010 05:04:19
Message: <4cca8e13$1@news.povray.org>
>> More specifically, given that Windows should never, ever, under any
>> circumstances, be running on a single-function device like this, why
>> are all the device drivers being written for Windows?
>
> What would you run instead?

How about just writing the few dozen lines of C is actually takes to
prod a few bits in the framebuffer, write some stuff on the screen, talk
to the card reader a bit, and make the dispenser chuck out some money?

OK, you're right, it probably *is* faster to take some code that
somebody else already wrote. But I still think grabbing the relevant
parts of (say) the Linux kernel is going to be quicker and easier than
porting the entire Windows OS (most of which you don't need) to a new
platform and trying to make it work...