POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation : Re: An observation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An observation
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Oct 2010 16:12:56
Message: <4cc9d948@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Well, you'd think that the code to operate something as trivial as a
> coin counter would be very simple. But sure, I take your point.

Well, no. There's interrupts, sensors saying how many coins are there, to
signal when it's out of coins or has been filled incorrectly, timing delays
for releasing various coins, dealing with power going out and coming back on
while the mechanism is operating, etc.

Everything's trivial if you aren't the one writing the code.

> I guess the real question is "why are people manufacturing devices that
> will only ever be used as part of an embedded system writing drivers for
> it that won't work as part of an embedded system?"

Except it *is* a driver working as part of an embedded system, obviously.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: