POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation : Re: An observation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:14:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An observation
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Oct 2010 15:34:19
Message: <4cc87ebb$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/27/2010 8:55 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:19:29 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> Support? Oh, you mean, "Turn it off, wait 30 seconds, and turn it on
>> again. Unless the web service the kiosk is "actually" running from is
>> down, this should fix it (well, at least for a few days...)"
>
> It's always a little more involved than that when it comes to a kiosk.
> Sure, fixing the kiosk is easy, fixing the kiosk in the context of a
> larger infrastructure is more involved.
>
> I think it's fair/safe to say that ATMs are not stand-alone devices, but
> rather that they're connected into a network and thus "support" involves
> more than just "turn it off, turn it on" if the problem is device support
> or network support.
>
> Jim
Probably true, for some of that stuff. My own experience with
kiosk/kiosk like things has been bloody Windows XP running "cash
registers" and IE running "info" kiosks. The problem is almost
invariably standard Windows. Device is too stupid to realize something
is wrong, there is no simple reset for it, the software is buggy enough
something *will* go wrong, not just might, and the only way "solution"
given is to hope once a year that they patch the problem, or cold start
the damn things.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {