POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New computer : Re: New computer Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New computer
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Oct 2010 19:01:13
Message: <4cc75db9$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/24/2010 10:02 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
> Intel i7-950 with 2x4 GB DDR3-1333 memory, Win7 64-bit, Radeon 5770
> video card. Price: $1235 (which is pretty darn close to the individual
> components I priced out separately, so the place that built it either
> does it almost at cost, or gets components a lot cheaper than street
> price).
>
> Tim Cook
Course.. Had you bought the components yourself, you would *know*, in
principle, what quality they where. Betting, no matter what the box
said, that your $1235 was probably $200 more than what the parts are
actually worth. Mainly due to the fact that they probably stuck in MB
that cost $50 more than needed, without the features you could have
gotten from someone else's, and/or adding in some "high name" product
for something else, which, it turns out, isn't as good as the cheap
version from someone else.

Someone today gave an example of that. Two Blueray players, one from
Sony, and one from Magnavox, where the former "high end" one took
several minutes to start up, and produced poor output, the later took 15
seconds, didn't have the splotchies in black areas, and cost half as
much. Same with computers. I don't trust anything someone *else* put in
to a box. If I buy something I regret, at least it was my mistake, not
some other ass lying to me about how great the thing was. lol But,
that's just me. ;)

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {