POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation : Re: An observation Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:28:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An observation
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 26 Oct 2010 17:24:53
Message: <4cc74725@news.povray.org>
>> Wikipedia asserts that many newer ATMs run Windows - which would be
>> extremely disturbing if true...
>
> You would be amazed at how many cash registers, ATMs, and even vending
> machines are actually running Windows.

Why on earth would you pay vast sums of money to use software that only
provides features that you don't actually need?

I'm not denying your claim, only that it makes no rational sense. I've
seen Windows running on plenty of PCs in various retail stores. M&S had
the Windows 2000 logo obviously visible on the touchscreens of their
checkout machines too. And don't even get me started on the video
adverts I saw on London Euston all proclaiming that "STOP 0x00000001E
has occurred"...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/