POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New computer : Re: New computer Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New computer
From: Dre
Date: 25 Oct 2010 23:44:06
Message: <4cc64e86$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Cook" <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Intel i7-950 with 2x4 GB DDR3-1333 memory, Win7 64-bit, Radeon 5770 video
> card.  Price: $1235 (which is pretty darn close to the individual
> components I priced out separately, so the place that built it either does
> it almost at cost, or gets components a lot cheaper than street price).
>
> Can play Portal at 1920x1200 with all settings maxed out no problem. (That
> and Thief 3 are probably the only two games I have that the Radeon won't
> giggle at me behind my back for using it to run...)
>
> Now the not-so-off-topic stuff:
>
> running a render in POV 3.5 (since I use Moray to build scenes), not even
> a quarter done after four hours
> get fed up, load the .pov file in POV 3.7 beta 39...it renders in 28
> minutes.
>
> !!
>
> XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
>
> a bit washed-out, though.  probably the gamma setting?  really need to
> learn how to use naked POV without going through Moray for purposes of
> animation.
>
> --
> Tim Cook

I did a simlar thing about 6 months ago.  Previous computer pov render took
5 hours, new computer bits do the same scene in 45 minutes, tidy.

Crysis?  at 1080p and every single option turned on I get a minimum of
30fps+

Metro 2033 is what brings my PC back to reality and at 1080p with everything
maxed out, the fps can drop to 20 (which is still ok) in a couple of intense
battles.  Otherwise, its totally fine.

Intel QX9770 quad core extreme, 1600mhz FSB
8GB 1600mhz ram
Nvidia GTX480 extreme

Cheers Dre