POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Made me laugh... : Re: Made me laugh... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:28:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Made me laugh...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Oct 2010 21:38:28
Message: <4cc4df94$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/24/2010 1:17 PM, Neeum Zawan wrote:
> Patrick Elliott<sel### [at] npgcablecom>  writes:
>
>>> And for those, if this is a problem, then the problem isn't religion,
>>> but one of not having any regulations that require emergency room
>>> patients to be treated.
>>>
>> There is that too... Which is idiotic, in this day and age, but no more
>> idiotic than letting someone's house burn down, with pets inside, based
>> on a lack of paying a "fee" for out of town response. Try that one in
>> California fire country...
>
> There was a long discussion over this in this newsgroup some months ago,
> and I don't find it all that idiotic.

Interestingly enough.. I see this sort of thing as much the same issue
that the the religious often use to support the idea of "sanctity of
life". The difference, as I see it, is that they often find very little
cause for considering the value and sanctity of *one* life, if the trade
is the loss of both *or* just the one they claim to care about less
(such as the mother, in cases where the odds of the mother dying, if
birth is attempted, is like 99%, while the child's survival, especially
if premature, might only be 50%). For me, having to draw that line is
horrible, and there are many important issues involved in deciding. For
them, its nicely spelled out, and all incidental facts involved (even if
they are not all that incidental) are irrelevant.

One person recently put it this way - Ethics is what you do because you
want to avoid hurting people, while morals are what you let someone else
tell you that you should be doing.

The later hardly implies hurting someone can't be moral. Rather, it
implies that, as long as you can find authority to say so, you can do
nearly anything you want, then justify this, on the basis of "greater
good", or the like, without *any* regard for those effected in the
supposed "short term". Nothing relativistic in that, right?

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();