POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : can't make static starfield, it keeps shifting : Re: can't make static starfield, it keeps shifting Server Time
26 Apr 2024 11:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: can't make static starfield, it keeps shifting
From: Alain
Date: 19 Oct 2010 17:04:41
Message: <4cbe07e9@news.povray.org>

> Here are the first 10 PNG frames (all 300 frames are like 30MB, and the first 10
> are sufficient to demonstrate the problem):
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29966/povray/from_mars.zip
>
> You can move through them with an image viewer. The stars appearing and
> disappearing between frames are clearly visible.
>
> I am using povray 3.6.1 on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 32bit. The command line was:
>
> povray from_mars.pov +W1920 +H1080 -visual DirectColor +A0.1 +AM2
>
> How is my system different from yours that causes flickering here but not there?

In your animation, it's mainly the fainter stars that flicker. Those are
to small to appear in my test renders.
My test used a much lower resolution and not the same aspect ratio:
+w800 +h600 +a0.2 +am2

With the kind of pattern used, it's not realy surprising.

A possible workaround:
Render an empty scene with only the background.
In the animation, use a large box or a plane somewhat behind the
farthest object.
Apply the prerendered background to that object as an image_map, scale
appropriately to cover the visible area. It may be interesting to post
process that image by bluring it a little.
Translate that object in parallel with the camera during the animation.

Alain