POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Made me laugh... : Re: Made me laugh... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Made me laugh...
From: Warp
Date: 19 Oct 2010 16:33:16
Message: <4cbe008c@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> >> Where is agnostism ?
> >
> >   Why would agnosticism be "irrational nonsense"?

> agnostim

  You keep using that word...

> is not atheism.

  Which atheism, exactly? Agnostic atheism or strong atheism?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

> It's an open table with meals for everyone... far too much to be true.

  The only thing that agnosticism claims is that it's impossible for us
to know if there exists a deity or deities.

  How you *interpret* that stance is a different question. Some might
interpret it as "it's ok to believe in anything you want, because it
might (or might not) be the truth", while others might interpret it as
"it's foolish to believe in deities because even if there are any,
it's impossible for us to know it, or their nature" (and likewise it's
foolish to claim that there are no deities because, once again, we cannot
know).

  (The difference between agnosticism and agnostic atheism is that the
latter takes the stance "there's no *reason* to believe any deities
exist because there is no evidence". It doesn't claim there are none,
just that there's no reason to believe there are. Unlike strong atheism,
which outright claims that there are none.)

--
                                                          - Warp