POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Out of memory with many transparent objects : Re: Out of memory with many transparent objects Server Time
28 Jun 2024 11:53:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Out of memory with many transparent objects
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 19 Oct 2010 06:50:39
Message: <4cbd77ff$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19/10/2010 12:03, Christian Froeschlin a écrit :
> but AFAIU passing through transparency without reflection no
> longer adds to the trace level in 3.7 anyway (using beta 39).

And I wonder if it is a good thing (and how it is implemented).
If we are reusing the ray & all, it might be safe, but I'm afraid of an
infinite allocation of ray & intersections before they get purged. Hence
the issue.

(if there was only transmit, it could be linear, but as there might be a
reflection with an increased depth of one which generate many more (on
the reverse path)...

Just an hypothesis:

max level 1: 65 planes... 1 original ray, 65 transmitted ray, no reflection

max level 2: same, + each ray get a reflections, the reflection of the
original get lost in space, the reflection of first transmitted get one
more ray (transmit) which get lost and would reflect if not cut by
level, (first reflection on the second plane)... reflection of
penultimate transmitted ray would generate 64 transmitted rays.

max level 3: add 65*32 rays (due to reflections occuring), and a
significant number of transmitted rays for each of them.

In fact, could you try to reduce max trace level (low enough, such as 1
or 2), and does it remove the memory issue ?

(I'm too far to test it myself right now)

--
A good Manager will take you
through the forest, no mater what.