POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Tangent to two ellipses? : Re: Tangent to two ellipses? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:54:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tangent to two ellipses?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 17 Oct 2010 04:05:24
Message: <4cbaae44$1@news.povray.org>
Le 17/10/2010 07:38, Tim Cook nous fit lire :
> I have a spline which I which to simplify to a series of CSGed cylinders
> and boxes.
>
> cylinder 1 is located at 0, 0 with major and minor axes of 2 and 1.4375
> cylinder 2 is located at 0.5, 2.875 with maj./min. axes of 1.786, 1.03125

Orientation ?

Are they true ellipses or just scaled circles ?

> How do I find the endpoints of the tangent ascending from the left of
> the lower circle to the right of the upper circle?

Why do you need such endpoints ? (with precision)
Wouldn't an approximation be enough ?

Between 2 non colliding circles, there is 4 tangents. (two are crossings
between the centers, the two others are parallel or crossing on the side
of the smaller circle past its center)
(well, symetry rules along the axis defined by the centers)

> (Also on this spline is needed a tangent descending from the left of the
> lower circle to intersect point -2.03125, 0.21875, the method of
> solution of which is probably related to the other problem)

The second case is just identical, a point is a 0-radius circle.