POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Tangent to two ellipses? : Tangent to two ellipses? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:56:40 EDT (-0400)
  Tangent to two ellipses?
From: Tim Cook
Date: 17 Oct 2010 01:38:11
Message: <4cba8bc3$1@news.povray.org>
I have a spline which I which to simplify to a series of CSGed cylinders
and boxes.

cylinder 1 is located at 0, 0 with major and minor axes of 2 and 1.4375
cylinder 2 is located at 0.5, 2.875 with maj./min. axes of 1.786, 1.03125

How do I find the endpoints of the tangent ascending from the left of
the lower circle to the right of the upper circle?

(Also on this spline is needed a tangent descending from the left of the
lower circle to intersect point -2.03125, 0.21875, the method of
solution of which is probably related to the other problem)

--
Tim Cook