POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GOTO : Re: GOTO Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GOTO
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Oct 2010 19:48:10
Message: <4cba39ba@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>> Yeah, I was trying to remember some of the others. Something perl-like,
>> certanily (python, Perl, bash, Tcl, etc).
>
> python, perl and tcl are very unlike each other despite the scripting moniker.

Fairly so, yes. But the concepts of a "scripting language" (i.e., the
primary data structure being a hashtable, the idea that "evaluating a
definition" is pretty much what creates code rather than strictly
compilation, the baroque scoping rules, etc) is what's more important than
the fact that (for example) regex is a literal in Perl and not in the others.

> truly is a marvel to behold in all of its C, shell, Lisp, forth summarizing of
> ideas goes...

Errr, Perl has something to do with FORTH?  You'll have to clarify that one,
because, like, it really doesn't, as far as I can tell.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: