POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GOTO : Re: GOTO Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:29:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GOTO
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Oct 2010 13:49:49
Message: <4cb9e5bd@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>>> they are all Algol.
>> Basically, yes.  Altho I'd say OO, and maybe some of the stuff in Ada are
>> things you should know about algol-like languages.
>>
>> You should also learn APL, LISP, Prolog, Erlang, Eiffel, and some machine code.
>
> I'd put Perl and Haskell into the mix too.

Yeah, I was trying to remember some of the others. Something perl-like,
certanily (python, Perl, bash, Tcl, etc).  FORTH.  Haskell or some other
very functional language, for sure.

The thing about APL, LISP, FORTH, and Tcl is they're all simple enough that
once you have a few under your belt, you can learn them well enough to
understand the principles rather easily, even if it's not obvious the best
way to write large programs.  Of course, writing large programs is where
having the alternate paradigms can shine (or collapse), so that might not be
a recommendation there.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: