POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GOTO : Re: GOTO Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GOTO
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Oct 2010 18:05:14
Message: <4cb8d01a$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Oh wow. 42 years later, it still exists:
>
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd02xx/EWD215.PDF
>
> "Go to considered harmful."

I must say, I love how steampunk he sounds.

> Well there we are. I have to say, not the most convincing description of
> the problem I've ever seen.

It's the difference between programming and computer science, is all. Plus,
you probably grew up after things like while statements and if statements
with actual bodies were common. Where do you think that came from? :-)

> I also note, with some interest, what looks suspiciously like Haskell
> syntax, in a letter typed 42 years ago. Obviously it's not after
> Haskell, but rather whatever mathematical formalism Haskell borrowed the
> notation from. Still, interesting none the less...)

Did you look at that link I posted about the semantics of programming
langauges?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: