POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bleeding edge : Re: Bleeding edge Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:27:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bleeding edge
From: nemesis
Date: 15 Oct 2010 14:54:55
Message: <4cb8a37f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New escreveu:
> Invisible wrote:
>> but only textual. Not graphical.
>
> You might want to google "html5 canvas".  It's all the rage now, and
> will probably mean svg becomes a getto

html5 canvas is for bitmap drawing.  Vector drawing with SVG will be as
much of a getto as Adobe Illustrator is next to Photoshop...

you're only annoyed that IE never got around at implementing it...

BTW, vector graphics vs bitmap graphics remind me of functional vs
imperative programming:  in bitmap, you have global state (the canvas)
which is directly modified each time an operation occurs; in vector
drawing, the canvas is updated (evaluated) by the result of the
(out-of-order) evaluation of element-drawing functions.

Imperative, somehow, is much more popular than functional style, despite
not (automatically) allowing for undo, reproduceability (??) and
non-destructive editing.  My guess is that such features in software
like Gimp and Photoshop are basically a twisted realization of
"Greenspun's tenth rule":

"Any sufficiently complicated imperative program contains an ad hoc,
informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of the
features of a functional program."

This preference seems to go well even among artists!, who would guess? :p

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9