POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Garbage collection without paging : Re: Garbage collection without paging Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Garbage collection without paging
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Oct 2010 12:10:37
Message: <4cb87cfd$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Doesn't that mean they're still part of the kernel source tree though?

Not all of them. Some are, some aren't, depending on what hardware you're
supporting.  I'm pretty sure, for example, that the device drivers for the
custom hardware in the box I'm programming aren't what you'd call "part of
the kernel" in any reasonable sense, since they're neither open source nor
maintained by anyone outside the company that makes the hardware.

Stuff like USB root hub and protocol support? I'd expect that's part of the
kernel.

So, yes, the kernel is quite big.  Much, much bigger than 600 lines. I'd be
surprised if the virtual memory support wasn't a whole lot bigger than 600
lines.

600 lines really isn't a whole lot of code in C. Back in college I wrote
something like 10,000 lines for a simple library to do text-only stuff like
input prompts, menus, help screens, report printing, etc for an insurance
product. C is so primitive that the line count is probably at least 10x
something equivalent in a language like Haskell.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: