POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A min-heap : Re: A min-heap Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A min-heap
From: Warp
Date: 15 Oct 2010 10:03:04
Message: <4cb85f17@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> In Java, if you ask for an array of Pixel objects (i.e., "Pixel[]"),
> what you get is an array of *pointers* to Pixel objects.

  I think that in Java it's not completely correct to call them "pointers".

  A "pointer" is usually understood as being a raw memory address pointing
to the memory location which contains the binary representation of the object
(its "value"). This is what a pointer is in C, C++ and some other languages
which have pointers.

  In Java a reference might internally be a true pointer, or it might not.
(Instead, it could be something else, such as an index to a table which
contains information about the object.)

  There is a difference. In C/C++ you can compare pointers with an ordering
comparison (less than, etc), which allows you to eg. sort pointers (ie. sort
them by the values of the pointers themselves rather than the objects they
are pointing to). Pointer arithmetic is also a "side-effect" of this: You
can add an offset to a pointer and get another pointer which points that
much further in memory (which is used for raw arrays).

  In Java you can't sort references (because references might not have a
well-defined ordering) nor perform "reference arithmetic" (because it would
be nonsensical if the references are something else than raw memory
addresses).

  Moreover, in C and C++ objects cannot be moved in memory behind the scenes
because there may be pointers pointing to them, and hence moving an object
would break the pointers (and thus the entire program). In Java, however,
objects can be moved in memory without breaking any existing references to
them, if the references are not raw memory addresses but something smarter
(such as indices to some table, or whatever; of course this introduces an
additional indirection level to accessing the object through the reference,
but it might be worth it in some cases).

--
                                                          - Warp