POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Garbage collection without paging : Re: Garbage collection without paging Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:29:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Garbage collection without paging
From: Warp
Date: 15 Oct 2010 09:49:51
Message: <4cb85bff@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Doesn't that mean they're still part of the kernel source tree though?

> I do recall last time I tried recompiling the kernel, there were several
> items that you could hard-link or have as loadable modules. But either
> way, they're still part of the kernel source tree. So the kernel source
> tree would still be enormous...

  Since you can optionally include and exclude kernel modules (so that
you can eg. compile a very minimal and small kernel for a specific
device), it's debatable how much of the source code should really be
considered part of the kernel and which parts are only optional extras.

  If you only count the parts of the kernel which are necessary to compile
a binary which can be run on your computer (or on some specific device),
the source code size would be significantly smaller than if you counted
every single module ever written for it.

--
                                                          - Warp