POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Garbage collection without paging : Re: Garbage collection without paging Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Garbage collection without paging
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Oct 2010 04:05:14
Message: <4cb80b3a$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/10/2010 08:37 PM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> I was going to say some fairly small number. And then I remembered that
>> "the Linux kernel" actually includes every Linux device driver ever
>> written, for every architecture, ever. That alone means it must be
>> absolutely massive. (And then there's support for every file system ever
>> implemented, every network protocol ever implemented, every kind of
>> block device, an entire route and firewall subsystem...)
>
>    Most device drivers are loaded as modules rather than being hard-coded
> into the kernel.

Doesn't that mean they're still part of the kernel source tree though?

I do recall last time I tried recompiling the kernel, there were several
items that you could hard-link or have as loadable modules. But either
way, they're still part of the kernel source tree. So the kernel source
tree would still be enormous...