POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : nasty issues rendering extremely large objects : Re: nasty issues rendering extremely large objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: nasty issues rendering extremely large objects
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Oct 2010 17:44:08
Message: <4cb779a8$1@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Given the usual range & precision, I wonder if one unit = 100km would
> not be better ?

I think the problem is not so much the absolute size in units as it is the
difference between the smallest object and the biggest object.

If you only have six decimal digits of precision in your float, you're not
going to be able to represent the difference between
   1.23456789012345 and
   1.23456789012348
any more than you will if you make them
   1.23456789012345E+10 and
   1.23456789012348E+10

> And I never get the "artificial gravity" by rotating: centrifugal force
> does not exist (it's a pseudo force),

It certainly exists. It just only exists for an accelerated observer.

> the coriolis effect would slant it a bit away from the center

Yes, but that's true because the ringworld is rotating, not because of
centrifugal force. The earth has corilois effects too.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: