POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : nasty issues rendering extremely large objects : Re: nasty issues rendering extremely large objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:31:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: nasty issues rendering extremely large objects
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 14 Oct 2010 15:58:01
Message: <4cb760c9$1@news.povray.org>
Le 14/10/2010 21:12, Florin Andrei nous fit lire :

> I think my message was misleading - when I said "zoom in" I wasn't thinking of
> doing an animation. I'm only interested in the final static view, standing on
> the surface of the ring.
>
> It does seem to be some sort of precision limit or error, indeed.

I should try... but I noticed that you used a single cylinder in your
scene. Does it change anything if you use instead a CSG of 2 cylinders,
so that the actual ring is more than a foil ?
(in fact, you would need more to make the walls)

Given the usual range & precision, I wonder if one unit = 100km would
not be better ?
(that make the view point about 0.00002 away)
Also a caveat: if the <0,0,0> is the sun, you gonna have problem to
stand on the ring.
You might better enjoy having your feet as <0,0,0>, translating your
ring to match.

And I never get the "artificial gravity" by rotating: centrifugal force
does not exist (it's a pseudo force), and I believe the gravity
direction might not be fully centrifugal: the coriolis effect would
slant it a bit away from the center