POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : scanline predator : Re: scanline predator Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: scanline predator
From: Warp
Date: 14 Oct 2010 15:50:31
Message: <4cb75f07@news.povray.org>
> How do you do a ghost or predator effect on a graphics card, like with
> opengl or directx or something like that?  I.e., as a vertex/pixel shader.

  I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if the stencil buffer
is involved (probably in conjunction with the depth buffer).

  The basic idea of the stencil buffer is so laughably simple that one
would hastily think that it has no practical use. In practice people have
developed incredible applications to the stencil buffer, including
dynamic shadowing, planar reflections, outline drawing and portal
rendering.

--
                                                          - Warp