POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : nasty issues rendering extremely large objects : Re: nasty issues rendering extremely large objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: nasty issues rendering extremely large objects
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Oct 2010 15:03:37
Message: <4cb75409$1@news.povray.org>
Florin Andrei wrote:
> Here's a perspective view from afar, all numbers are scaled down so I don't run
> into issues again, but the proportions are correct:

I think the problem is not the magnitude but the precision. POV-Ray uses
floats internally, so trying to model something 200 million kilometers apart
with a detail scale of 1 meter isn't going to work so well.  Plus, there are
bits in the code to clip sufficiently distant geometry that I'm sure someone
else can tell you about. I don't think you're going to be able to model this
in a simple and naive way. You'll need to do something less obvious, like
having different models at different points in the animation.

(Note that "naive" isn't a pejorative term here.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: