POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Windows XP and the Phantom Hardware : Re: Windows XP and the Phantom Hardware Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows XP and the Phantom Hardware
From: stbenge
Date: 14 Oct 2010 13:58:10
Message: <4cb744b2@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Attached is a screen shot of the superfluous devices. I know for a fact
>> that I don't have that many peripherals. Any help, or even a nudge in
>> the right direction would be appreciated...
>
> Unplug your mouse and keyboard in turn whilst watching device manager,
> you'll see which entry is then related to those pieces of hardware.
> Remove everything else using device manager and reboot.  If it all comes
> back then I'd look at my startup programs
> (Start->Run->msconfig->Startup) and remove anything sounding like
> Virtual Keyboard Driver or related to your previous hardware.  Maybe it
> helps?

Monitoring the device manager while unplugging my input devices.... I
should have thought of that /: Unfortunately, knowing which drivers were
relevant didn't help. I tried uninstalling the unnecessary items, but
they came back as quickly as I could remove them. Some of them are
apparently mouse drivers, though why there should be more than one is
beyond me.

The Startup tab in msconfig shows nothing keyboard-related. I googled
everything in there, and most of the items are needed.

One of the items Windows tries to install is an eHome infrared
transceiver. My box has remote control support, but I never use it. I'll
  just try to install those three items; maybe Windows will stop bugging
me...