POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Garbage collection without paging : Re: Garbage collection without paging Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Garbage collection without paging
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Oct 2010 04:18:02
Message: <4cb6bcba$1@news.povray.org>
>> I love the way that 600 LoC is considered "modest". I wonder how ****ing
>> big the whole VMM is?! o_O
>
> Please take a guess at how many LoC the entire Linux kernel has.
> Then look it up.

I was going to say some fairly small number. And then I remembered that
"the Linux kernel" actually includes every Linux device driver ever
written, for every architecture, ever. That alone means it must be
absolutely massive. (And then there's support for every file system ever
implemented, every network protocol ever implemented, every kind of
block device, an entire route and firewall subsystem...)

On top of that, it has a build system the size of a small word processor
for turning all the built-time options on and off, and you can
reconfigure just about everything, right down to the number of bytes
allocated to the keyboard buffer. That must involve one hell of a lot of
CPP magic.

Add to that 60+ years of backwards compatibility code and you've got one
very large, unmanageable codebase...