POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : scanline predator : scanline predator Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:11:37 EDT (-0400)
  scanline predator
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Oct 2010 22:43:04
Message: <4cb66e38$1@news.povray.org>
One thing I can't figure out...

How do you do a ghost or predator effect on a graphics card, like with
opengl or directx or something like that?  I.e., as a vertex/pixel shader.

I understand how you do shadows, and reflections, and how to do something
like a lens bloom where you post-process the whole image.  What I am not
sure I've figured out is how to post-process only part of the screen you can
see. I.e., if the "predator" walks behind a tree, you want the parts you can
see to distort what's behind it, but you don't want to distort the tree he's
behind.

The only thing I can think of is that you save the depth map along with the
image, and then you only post-process the things at the same depth as the
model of the predator, or something like that.  But how do you know what
that is? Re-render just the predator in a separate buffer?

Alternately, you *could* render everything twice, with the predator having a
pixel shader that just made it white, everything else being black. But then
you're rendering the whole scene three times.

Is there a better way to do that?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: