POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tape-sort : Re: Tape-sort Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tape-sort
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Oct 2010 08:05:24
Message: <4cb5a084@news.povray.org>
On 13/10/2010 12:49 PM, scott wrote:
>> One immediate and obvious problem is that the buckets might fill very
>> unequally, depending on the distribution of the data to be sorted.
>
> Is this really a problem? It shouldn't affect the run-time of the radix
> sort algorithm at all.

Hmm, yes. The running time of a radix sort is proportional to the length
of the keys, and regardless of the volume of data. Which means that even
sorting a small volume of data could be quite slow if the keys are large.

It also doesn't help that the keys I want to sort by are floating-point
numbers... although I suppose you could truncate them to integers and do
it that way.