POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Musing on the Halting Problem : Re: Musing on the Halting Problem Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Musing on the Halting Problem
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Oct 2010 21:01:41
Message: <4cb504f5$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> inputs I'm actually having trouble thinking of a case where this is true

I don't know what "this" you're talking about. Your comments don't make
sense in the context of the bit you quoted.

> My example with big-O notation was actually slightly different than
> that.

Right.

> Thus saying that every program on a finite
> machine finishes in O(1) times is sort of disallowing infinity in one
> area while letting it slip by in another.

Basically, yes.

> My point with big-O notation was instead that the allowance of
> arbitrarily large inputs in the definition is actually massively
> simplifies the problem.

I didn't mean to say it didn't. I thought I had only said it was more
interesting with infinities.

> I'm not entirely sure that we actually have different viewpoints on
> this, and it's possible that I'm just misunderstanding your argument.
> I'm mostly basing my assumptions about your position on your comment:
>
>> Funny enough, infinities make things much more complicated. That's why
>> virtually every bit of math deals with infinities.
>
> Which seems to run counter to my experience,

In many cases where everything is finite, the math becomes trivial, because
math doesn't care how big something is if it's bounded.

I probably should have added an "often" in there. Infinities often make
things more complicated.

> where I'm used to seeing
> unbounded values allowed as a simplifying assumption, and see them as
> common because it's such a powerful tool for allowing general statements
> about whatever branch of math you're considering.

Sure. I didn't mean using infinities in the analysis always makes things
more complicated. I meant using infinities in the problem statement makes
things interestingly complicated, as opposed to problems where everything is
finite, everything halts, etc.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: