POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Garbage collection without paging : Re: Garbage collection without paging Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Garbage collection without paging
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Oct 2010 12:38:51
Message: <4cb48f1b@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I love the way that 600 LoC is considered "modest".

I imagine it's also *conceptually* modest, in that it's just the OS
notifying the program it's *going* to swap out pages.

> I doubt we'll be seeing sophisticated cooperation schemes any time soon,
> but I wonder how long it will be before the OS gains the ability to
> notify an application that it should release some memory is possible?

Like AmigaOS, you mean?

I think it's more the problem that if you have large production machines
where this would be particularly helpful, you're probably only running one
application on them anyway. People who are worried about this sort of thing
don't put the database server and the web server on the same machine, for
example.

It would probably help individual desktop applications, but I suspect it's
not going to really work its way into Linux real soon due to the general
disdain that GC seems to have in that community.  I'd be more likely to
expect it to show up in Windows and be plumbed into .NET first, since
Microsoft has control over both of those. It's a shame the most popular GC
implementations are the ones that suck so bad performance-wise.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: