POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Garbage collection without paging : Re: Garbage collection without paging Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Garbage collection without paging
From: Warp
Date: 12 Oct 2010 11:41:35
Message: <4cb481ae@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I doubt we'll be seeing sophisticated cooperation schemes any time soon,
> but I wonder how long it will be before the OS gains the ability to
> notify an application that it should release some memory is possible?

  If an iPhone app is running out of memory, it will get a notification.
The app can then try to free unused data to free up memory. (This is
probably even more important now that iOS 4 supports some kind of
multitasking.)

  Of course it's not the same thing (iOS native programs are not GC'd),
but just wanted to mention it.

--
                                                          - Warp