POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Garbage collection without paging : Re: Garbage collection without paging Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Garbage collection without paging
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Oct 2010 07:11:28
Message: <4cb44260@news.povray.org>
On 12/10/2010 04:43 AM, Darren New wrote:
> http://www.cs.umass.edu/~emery/pubs/f034-hertz.pdf

"The bookmarking collector relies on some additional
operating system support, which consists of a modest extension
to the Linux virtual memory manager (approximately six hundred
lines of code)."

I love the way that 600 LoC is considered "modest". I wonder how ****ing
big the whole VMM is?! o_O

Still, it's an interesting paper none the less. Existing OS design seems
to assume that you will be using manual memory management, and therefore
you will only request as much memory as you need. That means that if you
run out of physical memory, it must be because your application really
does actually need that much memory.

With the rise of GC, these assumptions are no longer the case. If
program A requests more memory, it may well be that program B could do a
GC sweep and release a chunk of memory. But the OS doesn't even ask
(under the outdated assumption that the answer will always be "no").

I doubt we'll be seeing sophisticated cooperation schemes any time soon,
but I wonder how long it will be before the OS gains the ability to
notify an application that it should release some memory is possible?