POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Musing on the Halting Problem : Re: Musing on the Halting Problem Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Musing on the Halting Problem
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Oct 2010 20:04:33
Message: <4cb3a611$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> `uninteresting' when you restrict yourself to a finite set of
> *programs*, not functions.

Well, Rice's theorem, yes. I was speaking of mathematics in general.

> 2) I don't agree with your view on the use of infinity in mathematics.
> On the contrary, infinity (or rather unboundedness, which I assume is
> that you meant) is often used as a way to *simplify* things.

Well, the existence of infinities in your inputs complicate things more than
a system where everything is finite. A turing machine with a fixed-length
tape is far less interesting to prove things about than otherwise.

Stuff like big-O notation only uses infinities because you're again assuming
your functions have infinities in them. Every program on a finite machine
finishes in O(1) time.

But yes, certainly I didn't mean to imply using infinities is always more
complex than trying to avoid them in a problem where it's appropriate.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: