POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Wondering about Intersect_BBox : Re: Wondering about Intersect_BBox Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:38:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wondering about Intersect_BBox
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 9 Oct 2010 10:33:03
Message: <4cb07d1f$1@news.povray.org>
Le 08/10/2010 16:19, Le_Forgeron nous fit lire :
> I was looking for a strange memory expansion which seems to use
> about a few bytes per pixel once the rendering has been started (and I
> do not understand why, hence I'm searching)

Ok, as David Vincent (& the invaders), that memory expansion is not to
be found (it's not a leak). When the rendering threads are quicker that
the writing thread (the one which write the -state file when a file
output is needed), the consumed memory raises.

Typically, with +WT11 (on 12 core), on empty scene, with huge size to
render (a black picture anyway), the poor writing thread has a lot of
work that queue. Hence the memory raises.

If the render is slower (due to objects & textures), the raises is far
less. On slow enough scene, it's even flat.
(and notice: if the render start quick, the memory raises then lowers
once the rendering threads get to the slower parts).

That also explains why the activation/removal of MB does change the
memory profile: without MB, rendering is slower, so queue is shorter.