POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mono out-.NETs Microsoft : Re: Mono out-.NETs Microsoft Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mono out-.NETs Microsoft
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Oct 2010 00:38:37
Message: <4caff1cd$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> a-ha!  Still, I heard they out-.NETed Microsoft a bit by bringing SSE SIMD
> vector operations, no?

I don't know. I know that they did the silly thing and asked the application
programmer to make the decision instead of the compiler. :-) How that
manages to be at the application source-code level for C# I can't imagine. I
suspect it's interacting with the AOT compilation instead of (for some
reason) being a compiler command-line switch or something.

>> However, each version of C# really does stand on its own. If you just avoid
>> the 5.0 stuff until Mono catches up, you're good. It's not like people
>> aren't using 10-year-old C standards.
>
> ....with modern libs.

Even without modern libs. Or at least not modern standard libs.  I'm saying
that using C# 4.0 isn't really a problem for people writing their own code,
even when C# 5.0 comes out. Why would it be?

> Better than using essentially same old libs with a new
> incompatible lang every two years or so for the sake of innovation -- as if
> absorbing old features from more bright languages counts as innovation...

Here, you forgot this:

</rantflame>

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)