POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holy Wars : Re: Holy Wars Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holy Wars
From: scott
Date: 7 Oct 2010 03:48:46
Message: <4cad7b5e$1@news.povray.org>
>> It defies belief that anybody could disagree
>
> Certainly the primitive versions of the language were pretty primitive.
> But then, people were doing primitive things. How much of a namespace do
> you need when your computer only has 4K of RAM?

Also, even after machines got faster and bigger, there were still benefits
of a small primitive language.  I remember when Acorn released the first CPU
with on-board cache, suddenly the entire BASIC interpreter could fit in the
cache - which meant BASIC became a very fast (for an interpreted language).
I assume more complex interpreted languages couldn't manage this.