POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holy Wars : Re: Holy Wars Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holy Wars
From: scott
Date: 6 Oct 2010 11:06:03
Message: <4cac905b$1@news.povray.org>
> Right. And when somebody writes the benchmarks in assembly and it's
> another 80% faster, that will mean that C sucks, right?

Now you're getting the hang of it :-)  You see that pretty much every
language can be called "perfectly suited" or "totally sucks" depending on
what you want to actually do with it.  If you want to compare languages then
*first* you need to explicity state what it is you want to do.  You can't
just say "everyone agrees language X sucks", because they don't.

> FWIW, it's not *impossible* to do graphics on Windows. I've done it. It's
> just more fiddly than it should be. (E.g., you have to install GTK first,
> and then compile Gtk2hs from source, and when you finally get it to work,
> all your applications look like Linux apps rather than native Windows
> apps...)

Sounds like a good definition of "sucky" to me (if you're trying to write an
app with a Windows GUI) :-D