POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holy Wars : Re: Holy Wars Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holy Wars
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Oct 2010 10:22:32
Message: <4cac8628$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/10/2010 02:10 PM, scott wrote:
>>> It's slow
>>
>> This is easy to disprove.
>
> Like this?
>
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=gcc&lang2=ghc

How about this?

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64/which-programming-languages-are-fastest.php
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/which-programming-languages-are-fastest.php

Notice that out of the 20+ languages in each benchmark, Haskell is in #5
place. So out of 20+ languages, only 4 of them managed to be faster.
That's not exactly my idea of "slow". Haskell is showing up as faster
than F#, C#, Erlang, Lisp, OCaml, Clean, most of the Java stuff, Fortran
(!!), Pascal, Python, Ruby, and the rest of the shooting match.

Of course, if somebody had the time and patience to write an entry in
assembly, it would beat everything on the chart, but there we are...

>> (You don't need "complex" in there either. Just writing pixels onto
>> the screen is tricky under Windows, and I've *never* seen sound work
>> at all.)
>
> ie it sucks! :-D

There's a bit of a difference between "this language has a fundamentally
flawed design" and "this language was implemented by a bunch of Unix
enthusiasts and is therefore poorly supported on Windows".