POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holy Wars : Re: Holy Wars Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:26:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holy Wars
From: Invisible
Date: 5 Oct 2010 04:15:06
Message: <4caade8a@news.povray.org>
On 04/10/2010 08:29 PM, nemesis wrote:

> In general, I tend to dig best languages not designed by committee...
> even benevolent dictator model is better. :)

In general, I don't give a fig how the language was designed, I just
care about what the end result is like.

(In a similar way, I don't care who wrote a song, I just care what it
sounds like.)

> OTOH, haskell, as scheme, is a language focused more on programming
> language theory research rather than practical, industry-wide goals...

Uh... that's slightly amusing, if you think about it.

Haskell was created explicitly because there were already a half-dozen
identical languages with different syntax, and this was diluting efforts
to use them. So Haskell was created as one standard language to replace
all the others. Which is a pretty practical reason, actually...