POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holy Wars : Re: Holy Wars Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holy Wars
From: nemesis
Date: 4 Oct 2010 15:29:23
Message: <4caa2b13$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
>> Do you think only Windows got windows?
>
> In general, Unix people seem to have a mindset of "must avoid GUI at any
> cost".

no, the Unix mindset is that everything should be a text file and all
programs should be able to process text files and return text output.
html and Tcl/Tk made that possible for GUIs as well... :)

> I mean, seriously, there are things you could *genuinely* criticise
> Haskell for. But "it was designed by a committee" is a pretty pathetic
> one to choose. "Lisp was designed by divine revelation, while Haskell is
> a sad modern language with a complex and incoherant design that has no
> soul to it." Er, yeah, *right*. Get over yourself.

actually, Common Lisp (which is the one true Lisp) was designed by a
large committee of old industry farts.  Scheme was designed by a
professor and his pupil in the 70s and has ever since received valid
input from various other professors and pupils, which decide on which
features to enter the standard by voting.

In general, I tend to dig best languages not designed by committee...
even benevolent dictator model is better. :)

OTOH, haskell, as scheme, is a language focused more on programming
language theory research rather than practical, industry-wide goals...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9