POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holy Wars : Re: Holy Wars Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holy Wars
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Oct 2010 11:44:47
Message: <4ca9f66f$1@news.povray.org>
>> Emacs isn't a text editor. It's an elisp interpreter that just happens
>> to come with a text editor application pre-installed. ;-)
>
> and that interpreted text editor alone is so far beyond notepad that calling it
> "mere text editor" or comparing to notepad is a joke.

Oh hell, almost *anything* is a better text editor than Notepad. (With
the possible exception of sed.)

>> POV-Ray provides a GUI. Therefore, although there is a Linux version,
>> you can tell that's not where it started.
>
> what about Gimp?

That only has a graphical display because it's a graphics program. ;-)

> Could pov-ray not have originated from Mac?

That would be consistent with my assertion, yes. (I asserted that it
didn't start on Linux.)

> Do you think only Windows got windows?

In general, Unix people seem to have a mindset of "must avoid GUI at any
cost".

>> GHC is heavily Unix-centric. When you install the Windows version of
>> GHC, it installs a stripped-down version of MinGW. The compiler even
>> lists the machine as "i386-unknown-mingw", not as, say, "Windows" or
>> something. It installs and uses GCC as its back-end.
>
> and that's because SPJ works for Microsoft, huh? ;)

Something like that.

> you take me too seriously... :p

Meh. :-P

Interestingly (or not?), I did a few Google searches and found several
people saying how awesome Haskell is, usually for valid reasons, but
they are vastly outnumbered by other people saying that Haskell utterly
sucks, for completely bogus reasons. Mostly of the "I spent 2 hours
trying to learn Haskell and it wasn't like Lisp and therefore it sucks"
variety.

I mean, seriously, there are things you could *genuinely* criticise
Haskell for. But "it was designed by a committee" is a pretty pathetic
one to choose. "Lisp was designed by divine revelation, while Haskell is
a sad modern language with a complex and incoherant design that has no
soul to it." Er, yeah, *right*. Get over yourself.